Transitioning to Adult Doctors
For many with disabilities and/or complex medical needs, transitioning from pediatric to adult doctors is inevitable.
This can be an exciting time for some but extremely nerve-racking for others. But either way, if you are currently being seen by a pediatric care team, it is beneficial for you to be prepared for what is to come–as best as you can–as to not be surprised or even worse, end up falling through the cracks and end up not getting the care you need and deserve.
- Know that transitioning from pediatric to adult doctors may take place
- Be prepared for transition when the time comes
- Understand what one can expect when transitioning from pediatric to adult doctors
- Understand the structure of what many adult doctors look like in contrast to pediatric doctors
- Know what to look for in a new doctor
- Know what questions to ask when transitioning from pediatric to adult doctors